Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Why I Love "Ever After High"


Apparently I missed all the buzz about this new Monster High spin-off doll brand because I just found out about it...yesterday. (On the upside, I didn't have to wait for the promo pictures to be released and people already have pictures and review of the dolls. ;) I figure it's not too late to voice my thoughts and opinions of this new line!

First off: a quick summary. For those fellow doll fans who haven't heard about it, Monster High's CA Cupid is transferring to a new school: Ever After High. This high school is exclusively for the children of popular fairytale characters like Cinderella, Snow White, The Mad Hatter, etc.

Picture Credit: Ever After High official Facebook


From what I can tell, this line has been met with mixed feelings.

Some people, like me, absolutely love it. Love at first sight, literally. (more on why later)

Others, however, don't really like it. (And I'm perfectly fine with that, everyone's entitled to their own opinion! :)
Some people think it's too gimmicky and that Mattel just wants to squeeze every last penny out of Monster High (probably true.)
Others are disappointed by the comparatively normal characters and the lack of unique face molds.
Maybe some people thinks it's all just happening so fast. I don't know.

What I do know is I love it. 

Picture Credit: Ever After High official Facebook

Don't get me wrong, I love Monster High too. I think the whole "be unique, be a monster" thing is an awesome message for people of all ages. Monster High is a super unique doll line and really filled a gap in the princess laden market. However, I never dreamed of being a monster. It just never really appealed to me.

However, I have dreamed of being a Princess. ;)

Basically, Ever After High is what Monster High would look like if I redesigned it. (You can see why I'm stoked.) In an attempt to cut down on the rambling, let me count the ways.

1. The Characters Aren't Monsters
Call me crazy but I've always preferred Human dolls to monsters. The ONLY MH doll I own is CA Cupid--coincidence? ;) The EAH dolls have all the cuteness and crazy style of MH while still being humans. I prefer their "more natural" faces to the crazy colors some of the MH dolls could get.


Picture Credit: Ever After High official Facebook

2. They're a Fresh Take on Old Tales
I'm something of a fairy tale addict. I'm a HUGE Disney fan, but I also cherish the different renditions of the classic fables. I have beautifully illustrated books of fairytales and enjoy fun fairy tale spin off novels. While I demand my Disney dolls to be perfectly accurate translations of their screen counterparts (that rarely happens), I love how deliberately different these girls are! Maybe it's just because I'm getting a little sick of seeing year after year almost perfect Disney dolls. The EAH dolls are a relief to me and a reminder that Disney is not the only version of these fairytales. 

For example, some people are upset that Apple White (daughter of Snow White) has super blonde hair when she traditionally has black hair. I am super happy she has blonde hair. I love how different it makes her!! And btw, have you ever realized how crazy hair color genetics is? ;) It's totally plausible

3. The Style
I mentioned this, but i just LOVE the EAH dolls' style! They have the imagination and detail of the MH dolls without having everything dripping in molded spider webs. (No hate--just not my cup of tea.) For example, Briar Beauty, daughter of Sleeping Beauty, has a dress entirely based on a rose! Now that's MY kind of dress!! (Pictured below) 

Picture Credit: Ever After High official Facebook


Not only does the loud and proud girly-girl inside me love their regal and feminin fashions, I also appreciate how they're a bit more modest. Monster High's older and almost sexy fashions never quite sat right with me. Aren't these little kid toys originally? Thankfully, instead of mini skirts and belly shirts, most of the EAH dolls have sweet puff sleeves and comparatively longer dresses. Much more friendly, in my eyes. :)

Here's a quick comparison of Wave 1 dolls in each line: Clawdeen and Madeline Hatter, daughter of the Mad Hatter.



Picture Credit: Ever After High official Facebook

Once again, no hate. ;) I love Clawdeen, I just would feel better giving Madeline to a child (or displaying her in my own room) And yes, I know not all MH dolls dress like Clawdeen, I own Cupid, remember? ;)

4. They have New Body Molds!
This is just a quicky, but the EAH dolls have new body molds! This is kind of a downer for people that wanted to swap clothes with MH dolls, but I'm not much of a clothes swapper. The bodies are thicker, more realistic, and better sculpted. I think their new bodies are super cute and not as alarmingly thin as the MH dolls, which is appropriate because they're more human. :) Check out this fan facebook page for body comparison pics!

5. I'm in Love with the Story! 
I really enjoy the MH webisodes but I feel like sometimes they lack a good plot line. I'm really looking forward to this new show because of the definite Rebels VS Royals thing. In case you're confused, head over to the adorable Official Website and watch all the episodes. Or watch them on Youtube. Here's the "intro" episode. :)


Btw: I am obsessed with all the designs and the theme song! So perfect!

Not only do I love the webisodes, the companion books will be written by Shannon Hale!! She is an amazing author and is one of my all time favorites! She wrote the Goose Girl and Princess Academy (along with many more). The Goose Girl was my #1 favorite book for YEARS! Suffice it to say, I think these books are in fabulously capable hands.


Picture Credit: Ever After High official Facebook

In summary, this doll line has me tickled an appropriate shade of pink. Not only that, but I actually caught the first wave, so I have better chances of collecting the ones I want unlike the lines that premiered years ago. (I'm looking at you, Liv and Monster High.) I love everything about it. It has all the elements of Monster High that I like with a delicious seasoning of fairytale. 



No comments:

Post a Comment